Did you know that “apnea” means without breath?
Sleep apnea and snoring effects millions of people all over the world. However many suffer due to lack of treatment which can lead to numerous health problems. Dr. Agah works with specialists in Palo Alto, Mountain View and Menlo Park and adjoining cities to provide her patient’s relief from the causes and symptoms of sleep apnea. Treatment can elevate your energy, mood, and concentration. It also provides general health benefit such as reducing your blood pressure, the risk of heart attack and stroke.
What is Sleep Apnea?
Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) is nighttime interruptions in breathing, caused by airway collapse. This is usually caused by the tongue blocking the airflow thus decreasing oxygen to the lungs and pausing breathing. Repetitive stops in breathing stress the body so that sleep patterns are disrupted and complete rest is not achieved. Thus the body feels fatigue and sleepy during the day and does not achieve rest at night.
Treatment of Sleep Apnea:
Fortunately, with oral appliance therapy patients can treat their condition with ease and comfort. At Agah Dental we offer several costumes made appliances in accordance with your needs. These appliances worn during sleeping, advance the mandible forward thus creating more space for the tongue and not allowing it to block the airway. Dr. Agah closely monitors and provides guidance for each of her patients.
Sleep Apnea Symptoms
- Excessive Daytime Sleepiness
- Bruxism (grinding or clenching your teeth)
- Morning headaches
- Weight gain
Sleep Apnea Test
Two or more of the following symptoms can be signs of Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA).
- I have been told that I snore.
- I have been told that I hold my breath or stop breathing in my sleep.
- I have high blood pressure.
- I often feel sleepy and struggle to stay alert, especially during afternoon meetings.
- My neck measures over 17 inches (males) or over 16 inches (females)
- I am more than 15 pounds overweight.
- I wake up with headaches.
- I have short-term memory problems.
- I don’t feel rested or refreshed, even after 8 hours of sleep.
- I have great difficulty concentrating.
- I have restless legs or feel uncomfortable before or during my sleep
- I feel irritable and moody.